Building additions and school names are not all that is changing in Owatonna Public Schools for fall 2017 – there are a number of staff changes as well, effective July 1.
“It’s valuable to change leadership in positions every so often and build on individual staff strengths,” said Superintendent Pete Grant. “It ensures we periodically provide fresh perspectives, give our staff professional growth opportunities and provide staff the chance to share their wisdom in new environments.”
- Michelle Krell will be the district’s new Director of Teaching and Learning. Michelle has served as principal of Kasson-Mantorville Elementary and Middle Schools and Waseca Elementary School; interim principal at Owatonna’s Washington Elementary School; and teacher in Owatonna and Medford school districts. Michelle is replacing Amy LaDue who has taken a position with the Eastern Carver County Schools.
- Melodee Hoffner will leave her position as principal of the Alternative Learning Center (ALC) to become Principal at Wilson Elementary. Her background in counseling, working with diverse student populations and excellent leadership skills will be assets at Wilson. Melodee replaces Amy Young.
- Amy Young will be leaving her position as Wilson Elementary Principal to become the district’s ELL Coordinator. Amy has a background in multi-lingual learning and her skills will be invaluable as the district works to close the achievement gap. Amy replaces Jayne Jacobson.
- Jayne Jacobson, former ELL Coordinator, will become an intervention teacher at Wilson. This position will enable Jayne to work directly with students on equity and academic issues, which is her passion.
- Jim Kiefer will leave his position at Willow Creek Intermediate School to become Principal at the ALC. Jim’s ability to build strong relationships with students will help with a mobile student population at the ALC. Jim replaces Melodee Hoffner. Thanks to community support for last year’s referendum, this fall Willow Creek Intermediate will be renamed McKinley Elementary School and Justin Kiel will remain McKinley’s principal.